Reply to post: Re: We still use a CRT television

Ancient telly borked broadband for entire Welsh village

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: We still use a CRT television

>Help save the planet by getting a new one that probably uses half the energy, water, etc

Energy efficiency/Green appliances aren't necessarily all they are cracked up to be and appropriate in all circumstances.

For example,

My 2002 tumble dryer manufacturer's specification gives an energy consumption of 4.37kWh and a programme time of 90mins (6kg cotton/linen, store dry)

Its 2019 (curent model) replcement gives a figure of 4.21kWh and 121mins for the same program.

The figures for the heat pump equivalent to the 2019 model are 2.29kWh and 174mins

Whilst the heat pump version uses less energy the 2002 model can complete twice the number of loads in the same elapse time - something that is important to consider when you are doing the weekly family wash which can be 4~6 loads, being done back-to-back.

If I look at the long-term reliability and maintainability then the heat pump is the worst of the lot; there is not only more to go wrong, but if something does go wrong it is more likely to be expensive - involving both a trained engineer and more of their time.

FYI, the 2002 tumble dryer was written off because a circa £85 heater (user installable) was no longer available from the parts providers used by the insurer. I suggest given the above information, the most environmentally-friendly solution was the replacement of a single part on the 2002 dryer...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon