Reply to post: Re: @Beep54 Too technical

She was praised by the CEO and promoted. After her brother and mom died, she returned from compassionate leave. IBM laid her off

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: @Beep54 Too technical

The issue isn't if IBM wants you gone, its the fact that their objective is to reduce the cost of delivery and older workers tend to be more expensive because you're also paying for experience which the bean counters don't value.

IBM doesn't care about your personal life.

I was driving all night to get down to the hospital where my father-in-law was taken for a medical emergency. It was faster to drive 15 hours than to wait until the next day to try and get a standby ticket and then rent a car. (Also cheaper since we'd need the car indefinitely)

On the drive, I had a senior exec screaming at me that a contract wasn't done. (My admin quits at 5 and it wasn't completed.) The contract was bogus because the client would never sign it. The sales rep was trying to push it because she was losing the account and being reassigned to another account. Plus she put it into her forecast.

How am I supposed to tell the exec that I'm driving to the hospital because my father-in-law is in the ICU and is probably not going to make it while my wife is sitting next to me?

She didn't care. I got the RIP and tried to explain it to my sympathetic manager, however the incident was in my file. That's the day I decided that my time at the borg was numbered.

A friend had a similar experience to the woman in this story.

He's still angry about it and bitter.

So yeah, IBM... they should be made to pay for their sins.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon