Reply to post: Re: And this ladies and gentlemen...

0ops. 1,OOO-plus parking fine refunds ordered after drivers typed 'O' instead of '0'

ovation1357

Re: And this ladies and gentlemen...

What about vintage cars pre-dating 1963?

Just corroborating my vague memory of seeing such cars with a Google image search, shows up at least:

LL 000

LL 0000

LLL 000

000 LLL

This apparently simple parsing task suddenly become a whole load more complex because of overlapping formats which no way to guarantee for example that ABC 123 is LLL 000 and isn't LLL 000L missing a character.

Add into the mix another commenters point about the 'cherished' plates like '007' as well as formats like my previous car of 'L0 LLL' and I think the best you could hope for based purely on the parsing of the registration they entered would be some fun passive-aggressive on-screen hints such as: "You appear to have entered a vintage registration number - are you really parking an Austin 7 or did you make a mistake?"

As other commenters have pointed out, RingGo hooks into DVLA and gets you to confirm your vehivle make,model and colour which is far harder to get wrong.

I certainly think that it should be mandatory for all council and private enforcement systems to perform a fuzzy match of the details entered to cope with such mistakes.

Can any of our antipodean friends on here tell us whether an equivalent database exists in Oz?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon