Reply to post: Eclipse needs to go away now

As if you needed another reason not to use Visual Studio, C++ extension for Visual Studio Code is live

Dinsdale247

Eclipse needs to go away now

I got really tired of Visual Studio and Eclipse. I HATE having to drill into a dialog box every time I want to change my build settings, include paths etc. I very much favor IDEs that use text files for build/project configuration. Using eclipse on our last project was so bad I was actually getting wrist and arm pain from click click clicking on dialog boxes. You know things are bad when CMake becomes the less painful option!

KDevelop has become an excellent IDE, though there are some odd key map duplicates when you first install it. Every keymap can be re-assigned which is both a blessing and a curse. Regardless, it's smoking fast, has lots of tools and is cross platform. I use it with CMake or xmake

CLion is now my hands down favourite IDE. Though the key mappings aren't as flexible as KDevelop - and you are more or less glued to CMake - I have found it to be fast, full features and incredibly robust. The only outstanding issue I have so far is getting OpenOCD to work with it for debugging embedded systems.

CLion is so good in fact, I can't wait to try Ryder so I can ditch Visual Studio 2019 for my C# development.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon