Reply to post: Re: Sounds familiar

Take your pick: 'Hack-proof' blockchain-powered padlock defeated by Bluetooth replay attack or 1kg lump hammer

ibmalone

Re: Sounds familiar

There are traditional padlocks that are very hard to defeat, and there is such a thing as strong cryptography (this being elReg I'm sure there will be people who insist that they only do banking transactions face to face, but most of us rely on computer security to look after our bank accounts). Combining the two at a given price point though... it means needing multiple engineering disciplines and extra components to marry the two together, which means more points for vulnerabilities. The best illustration of this (but not the only problem) is that many have a mechanical bypass for when the electronics don't work, you now have two opening mechanisms to attack before even contemplating the physical security blunders many of them have.

I'm sure a secure electronic lock can be built (comparably secure to a mechanical one), it just doesn't seem that anyone has any interest in making one commercially viable.

Oh, and blockchain. Reminds me of an argument last year about blockchain being the solution to every problem relating to electronic voting. "You can't be sure the software hasn't been compromised" "Yes you can because blockchain". Right have fun with that.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon