Reply to post: Re: Power!

The power of Bill compels you: A server room possessed by a Microsoft-hating, Linux-loving Demon

Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: Power!

> We couldn't believe it when somebody not only removed a couple of machines from the skip but put in a complaint that, "They don't work, will you fix them?"

I could. That's why I remove the drives.

For added fun and giggles, these days I occasionally secure-erase them and _then_ set a security password, then leave them where I've seen a couple of dumpster divers go after drives. I'm sure they've had weeks of fun trying ti make them go....

Anecdote: late 1990s

The local university finally realised they had a SHITLOAD of old and obsolete crap in stores and dumped off to a local auction house (who put up breathless adverts hyping the sales)

Hundreds of people tunred up for the first couple of auctions. People were paying more than current retail proces (start of the art at the time was low end pentium systems) for 286 and XT systems

for months afterwards there was a steady stream of people showing up at local computer stores with VT100 terminals - complaining they wouldn't boot and asking for quotes to repair them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon