Reply to post: Re: "Competent, core language"

Classy move: C++ 20 wins final approval in ISO technical ballot, formal publication expected by end of year

Ian Joyner Bronze badge

Re: "Competent, core language"

Jake: "Wait, what? If a systems language is used for applications, the systems programmers have failed to do their jobs? How on Earth is it the system programmer's fault if an application programmer chooses an/the incorrect language for the application? And how the fuck does it follow that the system programmer doesn't understand their job, based of what some other person does?

Your illogic is mind boggling."

OK, you don't understand what the fundamental goal of system programming is. That is to provide a platform free of the underlying considerations of hardware and 'bare metal' as C programmers love to call it. That is any hardware timing concerns that might affect the outcome of computations are handled. Any other foibles of the hardware platform. Those details are abstracted away.

Similarly in distributed systems, middleware abstracts from the differences between systems to provide a single consistent view.

Put even more simply, the goal of any level of software is to provide a strong and consistent abstraction.

When system programmers think other programmers should be using C, exposing the lower level details that should have been handled, it means the system programmers have not done their job.

I'm sorry, if I wasn't clear on that before, and I hope that explains it to you.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon