Reply to post: Re: @Cederic - Stockpile your popcorn

Brexit border-line issues: Would you want to still be 'testing' software designed to stop Kent becoming a massive lorry park come 31 December?

Cederic Silver badge

Re: @Cederic - Stockpile your popcorn

I'm not sure whether the interpretation by the telegraph is accurate or not. The things coming out on Wednesday are meant to clarify, so the UK Government position may well be that the state aid and ECJ impacts on NI were never agreed to cover the rest of the UK and the interpretation has always been that they wouldn't, with domestic law providing the legal clarity to match. I'm sure Gina Miller will crowdfund a court case to test this.

Leaving the EU does not put us "as supplicants". It puts us as a sovereign nation making its own laws and choosing whether to cooperate with the EU on international matters. If EU law makes that undesirable we can choose to ignore them.

re: EU funding for companies to move out of the UK, read https://archive.is/ChK1i - I'd like the FT directly but their paywall gets in the way. Note that the Twinings grant was reversed, but the process is this: EU gives funds for 'regional development', those funds are used to bribe (or "subsidise" as it's legally known) companies to open new facilities in that region, the companies then shift production and close down their old factories. Meanwhile the UK couldn't match those subsidies because of state aid rules. No wonder the EU are so keen to prevent us setting our own laws in this area.

I wasn't a fan of TTIP either.

British politicians were explicitly flying to Brussels, telling them how to negotiate with the UK, telling them not to negotiate with the UK, promising to overthrow the democratic result of the referendum, actively trying to do exactly that. That's not baseless nonsense, that's a matter of record. Perhaps you missed the Supreme Court creating new law, maybe you didn't notice centuries of Parliamentary convention being overthrown, it seems to have escaped your notice that politicians voted to force the Prime Minister to not leave the EU without an agreement that they were at the same time telling the EU not to give the UK. Which is, incidentally, why we ended up with such a shitty withdrawal agreement. Blame Theresa May by all means, she has culpability, but at least she wasn't overtly acting against UK interests.

As for the economy, the pandemic and associated lockdown have killed the economy so badly that I already can't get a job, so next year I'm going to run out of money and kill myself. I will however at least get to see the end of the UK's membership of the EU, so I can die content on that front anyway.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon