Reply to post:

Nintendo revives Game & Watch portable proto-console, adds color to 2.36-inch screen

Lee D Silver badge

MAME emulates these perfectly, and if you get the artwork they look amazing (SVG scaled to your screen!).

I had two as a kid and they are spot-on emulated.

Nintendo et al only "reimagine" something to keep their IP cash flowing, all those years people asked for it they weren't really interested (they did a couple of Gameboy ports that were half-hearted, if I remember correctly, but they've never bothered to offer them properly).

I always think that companies like that should look at what people are so desperate to have that they "steal", and then offer those people that thing at a reasonable price. Everyone's a winner. Money for old rope, maybe even support of an open source project to make it happen and recognition of the preservation efforts of those involved, and users find it easier to buy a GOOD emulation / recreation of the thing they wanted rather than have to resort to software piracy.

Fun fact: They run off a 32.768KHz 4-bit chip internally, with a pittance of RAM (literally bytes).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon