Reply to post: Re: Perhaps

Mate, it's the '90s. You don't need to be reachable every minute of every hour. Your operating system can't cope

J. Cook Silver badge

Re: Perhaps

The boss I call 'turkey' was like that- everything was a 'drop whatever you are doing and fix this RIGHT F'IN NOW GO GO GO GO GO GO !!!!!!!1111oneoneoneone' priority, even if it wasn't.

Like performing remediation on the production vmware servers of real or imagined 'defects' (like disabling copy/paste from the console on an esx5 host, which has that function turned OFF by default to the point that the flag isn't in the vmx file.)

ON CHRISTMAS DAY. IN THE MIDDLE OF THE AFTERNOON.

[RedactedCo] is a 24/7/365 shop, so we are open for business every day; the nature of the business means that holidays are generally amongst the busiest times on the production floor.

Since I was doing remote work at the time to care for a family member that had major surgery, I replied back to him via email, with his boss (the CIO, and a sensible person) simply that no, that's not going to happen, but if he's insistent on it, to put it in writing, and I would start with the VMs that are running the production floor, and that each one has to be powered off first in order for me to add the toggle to the vmx file, which is about a 10-15 minute downtime for each server.

I then disconnected from the work network, turned off the laptop, and spent the rest of the day unmolested apart from the CIO going "you were joking, right? I'll deal with him" via text message.

I think. I have holes in my memory from that boss, he was extremely toxic.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon