Reply to post: The problem isn't the Cloud, but poor monitoring

Why cloud costs get out of control: Too much lift and shift, and pricing that is 'screwy and broken'

stungebag

The problem isn't the Cloud, but poor monitoring

The Cloud is just like any other business procurement. The purchasing manager has a budget. Once that's spent there is no more unless said manager goes crawling to the grown-ups asking for more pocket money. Managers should keep within their budgets.

I understand that some Cloud providers require a credit card or other grab-my-cash authority but they also provide tools that allow you to monitor spending very carefully. The culprit here is poor monitoring of Cloud resource consumption. I'd happily bet that most Cloud overspends aren't down to poor estimation of workloads but are due to resources that were spun up for a test or migration and never shut down, or multiple versions of test/backup data that is no longer required.

It's much, much easier with the Cloud to make such mistakes but they are due to carelessness. A glance at my personal Dogital Ocean account would prove that. But it's still down, largely, to poor management of the resources, not the technology nor the billing and business models of the providers.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon