Reply to post: Re: I hate techies!

What rhymes with 'boom' and is veritably raking it in thanks to the coronavirus pandemic?

ibmalone

Re: I hate techies!

Zoom is also a weird niche solution in that it requires custom software installed. Both Jitsi and gotomeet will work from a browser (typically Chrome) and work well. Heck, I know of one library service that is now doing its streaming story-time (for pre-school children) via Zoom because that's been mandated from on-high, rather than facebook which is, you know, facebook, but does have the advantage of viewers not needing to install special software and is actually more appropriate to what they're doing. Our entire organisation has access to teams, which works absolutely fine (including giving you access to meeting notes and slides), just doesn't have the 'fun' party view for panopticon enthusiasts. Zoom seems to be one of those services that is popular because you can set up an account easily if you have access to a credit card, thus it's easy to look proactive and cutting edge, especially with a cool name, Zoom. Zoom. Zoom Zoom. Pity they didn't call it Zoomer.

That said we now have an institutional subscription to zoom too, because apparently it's the most reliable way for students in China to connect. Make of that what you will.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon