Reply to post: Re: Isnt that good?

UK govt: It's time to get staff back into the office! Capita: Hey everyone... about that...

Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: Isnt that good?

"keeping your home at a reasonable temperature 24/7 probably won't cost that much more than letting it go cold during the day and then heating it back up in the evening."

It costs less - a lot less. Letting your building fabric get cold is a spectacularly bad idea (mould and damp amongst other issues)

Simply switching my ancient system from a timer+thermostat to timezoned thermostat (£70) and leaving the system on 24*7 knocked 30% off my bills 16 years ago (lower temp during the day and overnight, higher temp during occupancy periods)

Adding basic thermostatic rad valves to stop individual rooms overheating knocked another 25% off that (£16 each)

The latest iteration is electronic rad valves with 6 adjustable timezones, "window open detection" - meaning they will turn off instead of trying to heat the planet and a "boost" (full heat regardless) mode which has a non-disablable countdown timer (5 mins default, up to 15 max) (£16-20 each, or £75 if you buy from a UK retailer)

The latest ones are zigbee, so I can even track temperature profiles if I want to

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon