Reply to post: Re: Would anything of value be lost if Twitter was gone?

What's 2 + 2? Personal info, sniffs Twitter: Anti-doxxing AI goes off the rails, bans tweets with numbers in them

Mark192

Re: Would anything of value be lost if Twitter was gone?

"Would anything of value be lost if Twitter was gone?"

Yeah, it's 99% junk like anything else but...

With breaking news, Twitter is a fast source of direct reporting from people at the scene.

When the Manchester Arena bombing happened, I got confirmation of it being a bomb from a brave young woman posting on Twitter when the BBC et al were still (deliberately) mis-reporting that it "may have been balloons popping" (you may remember the picture of her handbag).

When my kid's school is closed through snow, Twitter is the first thing to get updated.

Also:

When people have a complaint about service from a company, the people operating their social media accounts can resolve the issue when the zombies on the phones can't even understand the problem.

When a prominent person posts on Twitter you get it unfiltered, not as miss-reported through a partisan or sensationalist press.

But it's that first one that's important to me. When we were being deliberately misled, a single post by a young woman cut through all the lies.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon