Reply to post: Re: So we need to upgrade the physical locks....

Physical locks are less hackable than digital locks, right? Maybe not: Boffins break in with a microphone

ibmalone

Re: So we need to upgrade the physical locks....

If you're using a euro cylinder on an external door it should be TS007: anti-snap. Typically this is done by having a sacrificial portion on the front that will come away separately but leave a locking portion. However, the avocet abs I mentioned actually has an additional active anti-snap protection; taking off the external cylinder locks the cam to the internal cylinder (which is inconvenient, but for that to happen they have to have persisted in trying to get it apart after snapping). Yes, you can get cheap euro-cylinders, but they should only really be used internally. A decent secure euro-cylinder may easily cost more than a lever lock.

Incidentally, I'm not really promoting the avocet (or even euro-cylinders), as mentioned there's a defeat device for it (a much more specific tool than a hammer), but all locks have their vulnerabilities, and lever locks are pickable too (there are also other ways around them). A lock's job is to hold up an intruder, in most cases if it makes going via the door harder than going via a window then that's mission accomplished. That said, having a mix of types on the door (where I come from lever deadlock and rimlock latch is pretty common) means somebody needs to come prepared to attack both, just don't have the back door secured with string...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon