Reply to post:

Apple hits back at Epic, says Fortnite crew wants a 'free ride' on fees: Let the app store death match commence

Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

No, I've never sold retail. But I'm old enough to have sold shareware when you got 100% the price.

You can understand bricks and mortar stores needing a cut. It's much harder to understand what the online stores are doing. At least with Google, I can put in on a website for people to sideload. The punters get the 20% VAT saving, I get the 30% that Google would have taken - which more than covers the hosting and credit card costs. Only Google loses. But with Apple, you can't do any of that.

And the stores have hovered up sales and lowered the market rates. If I put it on sale for a real price I'd be ten or twenty times the prices of the opposition. And I'm not any better than the opposition, let alone ten times, and the volume hasn't made up for that drop. So I've got more paying users than I've ever had and yet make less money - still it's just about enough to scrape buy (mainly thanks to sterling depreciation) and in the current shitfest you can't complain too much. But a reduction in Apple's cut would be nice.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon