Reply to post: My portable devices are just buckets

Putting the d'oh! in Adobe: 'Years of photos' permanently wiped from iPhones, iPads by bad Lightroom app update

MachDiamond Silver badge

My portable devices are just buckets

The efficiency difference between using a tablet and doing photo work on a desktop with 12 cores and 64gb of RAM and SSD's is hard to put on one graph. Even the difference between my laptop and tablet is huge with the tablet losing every time. Bloggers, vloggers and sefie masters are using phones and tablets to process their images. Professionals back up a lot.

I always back up before updating software if I'm not backed up in the first place. I have files on the computer, a local off-line back up drive and another drive that periodically takes a trip to a relative's house for storage to be swapped out for the one that's already there. "Cloud" storage is not in my control so I don't consider it. I used to have a friend that had a small local ISP and I had a drive there I could use for backups but they went out of business like most small operators. My most valuable photos have yet another drive to live on along with CAD and other design files. Drives are pathetically cheap these days. The first HDD I bought was a whopping 30mb and cost twice what my last 4tb drive cost with tax and shipping. 4tb is a massive number of photos. Even RAW format though I also keep two jpg sizes for fast review and what's been delivered to the Copyright office.

The one thing that gets people backing up is their first serious data loss. Some may take a few whacks to the head and a smaller group is never going to learn. No point in clogging up the courts trying to fix stupidity.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon