Reply to post: Re: So?

Linux kernel maintainers tear Paragon a new one after firm submits read-write NTFS driver in 27,000 lines of code

NullNix

Re: So?

> 27,000 lines of code isn't really that much, its a substantial chunk but it should break down into components that can be individually reviewed and tested.

Yes, and doing that was Paragon's job, not the reviewer's. It's not like it's hard to split a huge ugly pile of work into neat commits. Picking an example totally at random because it's one I'm familiar with: it's not quite as big perhaps, but I did that for 10,000-odd lines of work just last month, originally in perhaps 250 completely unreviewable use-git-as-a-backup-system commits with commit log messages reading things like "fix the fix" and "giant pile of unsplit work" (https://sourceware.org/pipermail/binutils/2020-June/112012.html). It took perhaps two days to split up six months or so of work.

If you can't be bothered to do even that much to make your code easier to follow, I don't think it says much about your likely long-term commitment to the contribution or about your consideration for the maintainer you're dumping this stuff on.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon