Reply to post: Re: Who needs a new phone when 2018-vintage kit still packs a punch?

Samsung slows smartphone upgrade treadmill with promise to support three Android generations on Galaxies

juice

Re: Who needs a new phone when 2018-vintage kit still packs a punch?

> I'll share the usual moan: why do I need a 2018-vintage kit to "pack a punch", when my 8year old, positively ancient phone still makes and receives calls (stronger signal, by the way), plays music and radio, all without junk/spyware hard-baked into it?

For better or worse, your use-case is an increasingly small segment of the market.

Personally, I use my phone for emails, social media, web-browsing, online shopping, photography, e-book reading, torchlight, music and remote control for various media devices around the house.

And more besides.

Admittedly, while I could do some of the above stuff on 8-year old phone hardware, unless you've managed to unofficially upgrade the OS in some way, I certainly wouldn't recommend doing anything online with it...

So, yeah. If you're happy to use the bare minimum of functionality on your phone, then I've no doubt that 8 year old hardware is more than capable. But if you want to use it for anything more complex, then you'll probably need something which was made in the last couple of years, if only because newer models will have had at least some security patches applied...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon