Reply to post:

Farewell to notches and hole-punches? ZTE expected to announce mobe with under-display camera next month

Lee D Silver badge

Would literally pay a bit NOT to have a front-facing camera, or to just have it ABOVE the screen.

Why do we need all this seamless junk? Give me a few mm physical bezel around the screen (less likely to crack), and then put the camera, sensors, etc. ABOVE it and a button BELOW it.

There are literally features on modern smartphones I would pay not to have, and others I would pay to have.

I'll pay not to have Siri / Alexa / etc.

I'll pay not to have a stupid integrated screen but just a plain, square bit of touch-glass.

I'll pay to have a removable battery.

I'll pay to have protective corners and a phone that DOES NOT NEED a case to keep it safe. Seriously. It's like giving people a car and then telling them they need to put bumpers on it.

I'll pay to have a headphone socket, even if the phone gets longer.

I'll pay to have PLAIN, STANDARD Android with no apps.

The market is atrocious for phones and just does not understand what I want as a consumer.

The closest I can get is a Samsung XCover Pro. Rugged, waterproof, removable battery, dual-sim (if you buy the right one), headphone socket, etc. but it has a fingerprint reader that I don't want... a selfie camera notch I don't want, multiple cameras on the back that I don't want, and it doesn't do MHL / Dex over the USB-C port (which I would pay for). I'd literally pay to have the S4/S5 mini IR blaster put back on it too.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon