Reply to post:

Clarke's Third Law: Any sufficiently advanced techie is indistinguishable from magic

Martin an gof Silver badge

Draining and flushing was (IIRC - it was many years ago now) one of the first things the bloke did, as was checking the baffles, looking for blockages, all that sort of stuff. From memory he said that the sending end had several inlets, intended to mitigate exactly this sort of problem. I learned to live with it and it never really caused me any problems, other than not running the tank quite as low as I might otherwise have done.

That car had a distributor, but electronic timing. The spring on the rotor arm rusted away and I conked out about 180 miles from home late on (again, if I remember correctly) a Saturday evening. An acquaintance correctly diagnosed the problem, and it was fixed with the spring from a ballpoint pen. Fixed enough to get me home and to Halfords on Monday for a new distributor cap.

Had the same problem a year or so later, but as the cap was something like ten quid, it didn't seem to matter quite so much!

M.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon