Reply to post:

UK.gov to propose new rules for online political campaigns after last election marred by an avalanche of fake news

Binraider Silver badge

Government that certainly benefitted from misinformation campaigns at the last election from the internet, announces plans to consult on changes to rules that helped put it in place. Not saying the opposition did not also resort to such tactics, but that they are present at all is one of the reasons why the UK's democracy is ranked poorly compared to many other states. I will be treating this with a not merely a pinch of salt, but a whole truckload.

I filed a complaint with the Electoral Commission about false material posted by one party posing to be the other. They confirmed that such practise is not illegal nor, as such they are not in a position to enforce it. But I could file a complaint with the party concerned.

This is in contrast to print or television where the publishing party has to declare the origins of it's material; and anything non-factual can be acted on by the Electoral Commission as a criminal matter.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon