Reply to post:

Have I Been Pwned to go open source – 10bn credentials, not so much, says creator Hunt

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Fair comment. I also don't see why the sale needs to include any stolen credentials in a useful form. Hash the mail addresses and only publish the hashes. It wouldn't change the ability for the site to tell you if you've been pwned or not.

As to finding anyone trustworthy and dedicated enough to run, maintain and most importantly, update the site that Troy created so that it retains its reputation is probably the hardest part of trying to pass it on.

I'd say that some things people create on the Internet are much like children: once you have given them life, you have an inherent responsibility for them. This responsibility may include giving them accommodation at a hotel (your house) for many more years than you may have expected!

The only hope I'd see for the site is if a truly independent non-profit organisation with the right competence and drive offered to take it over. EFF comes to mind as they already publish quite a few tools to help people avoid some of the more common dangers on the Internet. This kind of resource should be right up their street.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon