Reply to post: Detecting

So you've decided you want to write a Windows rootkit. Good thing this chap's just demystified it in a talk

Mahhn

Detecting

This is why I like to scan my home system from a different PC, to ensure it looks at every file. Nothing is perfect but it catches a few things local scans may miss.

This is how we scan all our VMs at work, so it makes sense. Every VM is treated as a file, not a live system.

I expect home firewalls (done as SaS) will become much more popular. With security companies managing them, constant updates (subscriptions) to block malicious IP/URLs, Ad services (I block all of Adchoices at the FW).

This is the way.

I miss being at DefCon this year, but it's great they are doing SafeMode with Networking, Enjoying the youtube presentations and hoping more people get exposure to the great work people put into making IT safer for all.

- How I found what IPs to block basics. Open CNN in a browser, open command prompt, run netstat -an. Log all IPs. Open Foxnews, do the same. Compare the IP addresses. Take the common ones and block them. It's best to look them up first so you don't block app updaters (windows, adobe, ect) or something else you want connecting.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon