Reply to post: Re: Really?

You think the UK coronavirus outbreak was bad? Just wait till winter: Study shows test-and-trace system is failing

codejunky Silver badge

Re: Really?

@Dan 55

"What? I just highlighted the difference between Sweden and its neighbours which demonstrates exactly the opposite."

Yes. You ignored the evidence put right in front of you and you cherry picked what suited your argument. The simple fact is that lockdown doesnt appear to be the solution as Sweden with no lockdown is doing better than countries with strict lockdown.

If you still think that proves you right then we cant discuss further as you dont seem able to understand the facts. You can try to refute the facts but the numbers are right there on the link in front of you.

"No, I'm defending a strategy of saving people's lives by reducing contagion, you know, the strategy used by most countries around the world and recommended by the WTO."

I think you mean WHO (not condemning this mistake if so)? The strategy to reduce contagion works in limited places with little interaction with the outside. Every time they reopen they get more cases because its not going away. Try that with most of the world and we are still getting infections and as soon as we reopen will get another wave. Nothing has been solved. Are we to be locked down until a vaccine might be developed that might work? So far the best seems to be a very limited time with uncertain immunity properties.

"Would no lockdown mean more people would be going to hospital because there would be less chance of getting infected with Covid-19? No. Quite the opposite, lockdown was to stop the NHS getting overrun."

Ok so to stop the NHS from being overrun impose lockdown. They have had plenty time to get organised (even the army came to help with this) and have made new facilities etc. So do we open up in summer with fewer other issues or in winter when seasonal flu etc hit? The NHS needs an economy for it to be funded and get what it needs, so when do we open back up?

"Once again, I compared Sweden with its neighbours. The economic hit was about the same, the deaths were reduced. Having the option to go for more deaths or fewer deaths, you go for more."

The economic hit was a bit less and considering everyone else locking down it makes sense their economy would take a hit. And compared to its neighbours Sweden seems to show the lockdown isnt the deciding factor (again back to you needing to acknowledge the facts). Because of your misunderstanding you seem to think it would cause more death.

"I think we'll call it a day here."

Not a bad idea but look at the factual data again and maybe try to get someone else to explain it to you.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon