Reply to post: Re: User Error

Geneticists throw hands in the air, change gene naming rules to finally stop Microsoft Excel eating their data

jake Silver badge

Re: User Error

Note that I didn't say I liked Excel. I don't. In fact, I never use it. Not for over ten years.

However, the reality is that for the vast majority of users it is behaving exactly the way they need/want it to behave. And for the few who don't like the default behavio(u)r, it can be changed to whatever they want it to do (in this particular case, anyway).

But no. Instead the gene researchers are going to change the nomenclature that the entire planet has been using for decades. Who, exactly, is going to re-write (and then pay to publish & distribute) all of the textbooks and other documentation to reflect this change? Or are they going to turn it into a giant clusterfuck because they can't be arsed to learn how to use the proper tool for the job?

If the job is important to you, LEARN TO PROPERLY USE THE PROPER FUCKING TOOLS TO DO THAT JOB OR BE PREPARED TO FAIL MISERABLY! How fucking hard is this to understand?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020