Reply to post: Just been tested

You think the UK coronavirus outbreak was bad? Just wait till winter: Study shows test-and-trace system is failing

Eclectic Man Silver badge

Just been tested

I have a sore throat / cough, so I went to my local drive in Covid-19 test centre this morning and swabbed my tonsils and nose. Should get the result by mid-day tomorrow. I am hoping that the test and trace system is better than reported, although I will certainly be informing my friends who I've seen recently of the result personally.

The problem with 'herd immunity' is that it can only be achieved two ways:

1) An effective vaccine is created and a large proportion of the population is vaccinated.

Or

2) A large proportion of the population gets the disease and those susceptible to it DIE. Those remaining alive have some immunity.

The first is preferable, and personally I hope to survive whatever is causing my current illness, but I have to say that the tone of some of the posts so far in this thread are treating the Covid-19 pandemic like an academic exercise and ignoring the fact that people are dying of it, and people who do survive may never recover fully from the damage to lungs, brain or other organs. It is all very well going for the 'let everyone get it and generate herd immunity that way' approach, as long as you personally do not have to care for, or just do not care about, those who succumb.

I'll let you know the result when I've been told.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon