Reply to post: Re: Mega corps such as Apple ...

Struggling company pleads with landlords to slash rents as COVID-19 batters UK high street. The firm's name? Apple

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Mega corps such as Apple ...

No company (other than those set up on social enterprise lines) survive by not negotiating prices, etc. negotiating rent is the same as minimising tax liability - it's part of running a business. I doubt that shutting down the majority of stores would significantly hurt Apple's bottom line - people would continue to buy, just online or through other outlets (CurrysPCWorld, John Lewis, etc) and independent repair shops would get a business boost. My experience of Apple stores has been that they're not bothered whether you buy or not - their job is to be there to help. That is good for those who have ready access to a store - if they went I suspect Apple would up their game online and benefit a wider range of customers.

It's up to the landlords (often large businesses themselves) to decide whether they can get more rent from someone else. And the way the high street (and shopping malls are going) they gain more from keeping Apple onsite. Apple is not a charity - it's a business - something many people seem to forget.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon