Reply to post:

The Last of Us Part II: Never mind the Metacritic nonsense, Naughty Dog's ultra-violent odyssey is a must-play*

cornetman Silver badge

There has been a lot of controversy about the game for months, especially in relation to the allegedly toxic environment at Naughty Dog itself.

The supposed "review-bombing" is also certainly a reaction to the various leaks.

TBH, the lesbian content of the game's protagonist is pretty meh these days. Most of the reviews I have seen are that the writing isn't really that good.

The main "accusation" levelled at this game and others are that focussing on the woke aspects of the storyline come at the expense of a compelling story that people care about. I'm finding that a lot of recent Netflix content is in that vein. I start to watch and I just get bored because there is nothing interesting or fresh about the what is being presented. There is nothing to care about or get invested in.

A prime example of this is the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. A Mary Sue protagonist, a gaggle of woke, box ticking LGBT friends (in particular the trans friend who doesn't contribute to the main narrative at all [bear with me, I have a trans daughter myself, I am not trans-phobic]), and all the male characters are either stupid, nonsensically weak or evil. But the worst crime of them all, is that it's just not interesting.

I do wonder if we are reaching peak-story at this point in time. Have we had so many games/films/books that there is nothing new to tell? I'm not sure.

I am pretty stoked about season 2 of the Umbrella Academy though. Out today in Canada!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon