Reply to post: Hack my phone, please

In the market for a second-hand phone? Check it's still supported by the vendor – almost a third sold are not

MachDiamond Silver badge

Hack my phone, please

I just use my mobile as a phone with a couple of apps for my shopping list and calculating things. I even managed to get the carrier to shut off Text which I find a huge time waster more of the time than a useful feature. Mobiles are so easy to misplace or have stolen that I'd never put financial stuff on it. I make sure that any company I do business with that uses the number I am calling from as a form of ID has 2FA enabled. I was flabbergasted the first time a company told me that since my number was on file they could proceed with some transaction with no other verification.

I so paranoid that I don't sign up for paperless billing, auto-pay or do my accounting on my phone. I find the old slow manual way of using my desktop and a paper workflow gives me lots of backup should a vendor insist I haven't paid when I did. It also slows me down so I look at things. I know people that have had a water leak that ballooned their bills for months without noticing since it was on auto-pay. The same things have happened to a few where a discontinued subscription or membership was still billed long after they cancelled. They just direct deposited their paycheck and set the bills up to pay themselves when due.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020