Reply to post: Re: I suppose they'll need to tout for new business because they can't sell to the Chinese

If you want to design and make your own 5nm high-end system-on-chip, Marvell's offering ASIC-as-a-service

iced.lemonade

Re: I suppose they'll need to tout for new business because they can't sell to the Chinese

The major reason why we arrive at the point we are at today is the western business just blindly offshore all the manufacturing needs to China for every cent that is saved for the profit of the western companies, and the bonus of the management of those companies. Design is based on expertise - you cannot design in a vacuum and expertise is gained through experience - and when the whole product development and delivery cycle, except the initial design step, is offshore to China how hard would it be for China to take over also the "initial" design steps? What would be left if this happens?

The western companies and, subsequently, the western culture are doomed for their pursuit (and their greediness) for the last cent in the drive of their profitability. Now reality is biting back. It will be a long long road ahead if anyone want to have a product development and delivery cycle (for any tangible thing) that completely bypass China - it is doable, it requires mega-cooperation of many organization and companies, and most important of all, requires the focus and persistence that is needed long enough for this to come to fruition and before the western people losing their memories of what got them here in the first place and returning to the status quo.

Sometimes I feel it all boils down to the greediness of the western companies and countries.

From a person in HK.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon