Reply to post: Trump's not the problem, honest

Don't strain yourself, Zuck, only democracy at stake... Facebook makes half-hearted effort to flag election lies by President Trump

martinusher Silver badge

Trump's not the problem, honest

I know that when Trump spouts off about drinking bleach as a cure for Covid that enough of the population is going to take him seriously for the manufacturers to issue urgent warnings but in real life only the True Believers think he has anything relevant to say. Zuckerberg's too late to that particular party. What we really need to be careful of is this sort of thing:-

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/jul/22/ai-system-detects-posts-by-foreign-trolls-on-facebook-and-twitter

If you read this carefully you'll discover that anyone from certain countries -- Russia, China or Venezuela were the ones cited -- may be trolling you at all times even if its just innocent material about art and music since that's just 'building up censorship'. What this is really angling for is wholesale censorship based on all material not conforming to the approved format and content being listed as 'troll' and so hidden or deleted.

You should always bear in mind that whether or not a corporate entity like Facebook suddenly sees the light about something may be more related to the relative value of the advertising traffic or useful information it yields than any pangs of conscience. Trump's been spending freely on advertising for 2020 but there are signs that people are questioning the efficacy of online advertising compared to more traditional approaches. I know that I've been pegged as a Trumper because of the machine's demographics so I get bombarded with advertising soliciting my support and money but as far as I'm concerned its money down the drain. ("Keep it up!")

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon