Reply to post:

UK formally abandons Europe’s Unified Patent Court, Germany plans to move forward nevertheless

Dan 55 Silver badge

Ah yes, only one way to do it and everyone must do it that way. Whether it actually fits their needs or not. Not a recipe for success.

Yet it seams the Single Market and the Customs Union does work and saves businesses a lot of money. We'll find out how 'freestyle' customs controls work next year on the UK side.

Hmm, like the way they won that court case over Apple last week?

Was that a trade negotiation with a country or a court case?

Or the UPC that's the subject of this article, or...?

The UPC is not an EU organisation. Why is this not sinking in for many posters?

What the members actually get is the ability to do things the way a bunch of politicians think it should be done.

Who are voted for by the people. Do you have a better way?

Are you sure? The EU directive against racial discrimination in the workplace dates from 2000, that for male/female discrimination from 2004. The equivalent UK laws long predate those, as do most UK consumer and employee protection laws.

Treaty of Rome is 1957, Equal Pay Act is 1970.

UK employees have a 28 day minimum holiday allowance. the EU minimum is 20 days.

Yes, but 8 of those are public holidays anyway. I think you can work out the rest.

Sure, we opted out of the working time agreement because it was too restrictive. I work in an EU country today and the only way I can get my work done in an international environment is to ignore the rules. It's my choice, why should I be prevented from working the hours I want to, in order to be successful?

Very often, people don't work the hours they want, but the hours their employer wants. It's there to protect people.

Aaaaand there it is, the snide remainer ad-hominem attack when you run out of arguments. Some of us Brexit supporters have lived and worked in other EU countries for decades, we at least have seen and understand both sides of the discussion and can make our choices based on the facts.

You should have perhaps read your fellow Brexiteer's post which prompted that reply before being so bold as to claim that. It seems every advancement which has come from the EU is useless, only good for holidays, or both. Does that say more about the EU or the poster?

That's the same crap that was produced before the withdrawal agreement was signed, and it wasn't true then either. The only people who don't want one are the remainers, so that they can have something else to complain about. There will be a trade deal, no-one wants otherwise, UK or EU.

I really would like to live in a world where everything is so certain.

Speaking of trade deals of another kind (US-UK), yesterday the Tories voted against against protecting the NHS from being sold, against the protection of agriculture and food standards, and against parliament having oversight of any trade deals. You can already tell what kind of trade deal the Tories want with the US, but even if Trump still manages to win the elections, the House has to pass it, which is more oversight than the UK currently has as of yesterday.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon