Reply to post: Re: Rookie mistake

Here's why your Samsung Blu-ray player bricked itself: It downloaded an XML config file that broke the firmware

Lomax
Boffin

Re: Rookie mistake

Ah, I see. I'm sorry, but I couldn't understand what you meant with

> Well yes, phones do this.

Do what? From looking at pictures* of stand alone Blu-ray players, they seem to use touch interfaces almost exclusively, but these are of the capacitive touch "button" type (as opposed to a GUI on an LCD), which should be (almost) as easy to read as physical buttons. A touch button interface often uses a dedicated chip to read the capacitive sensor inputs and translating them to logic levels, so from the SoC's perspective they look just like regular buttons. Some SoCs have native capacitive inputs, eliminating the need for an external chip. It's still an inferior technology to physical buttons though, over which it only really has two advantages: bling factor and cost saving. Some might argue capacitive touch inputs are better environmentally protected and more durable than physical buttons, but then you don't know buttons as well as I do :)

*) A photo on the web is about as close as I'd like to get to one of those things.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon