Reply to post: Ah, the carefree days of the early internet...

960 LinkedIn employees will be let go... If only there was some kind of 'social network for suits' to assist job hunts

T. F. M. Reader

Ah, the carefree days of the early internet...

@Zippy´s Sausage Factory: "someone losing their domain once because someone complained..."

Not quite the same thing as losing a domain, but in the relatively early days of public Internet and spam (think ~25 years ago when a lot fewer than 100% of members of the public had non-uni accounts and hardly anyone owned a domain) I started getting emails from an MP (not in the UK) who urged me to vote in a particular way in a municipal election. I didn't even live in the city in question and wasn't eligible to vote there. I sent an email to abuse@<ISP> (the ISP was easy to figure out from the personal email address the MP used), and to my surprise I got a thank-you note from the ISP the next day saying the MP's account had been deactivated due to my complaint.

In those days spam was starting to be a problem and ISPs were quite concerned about being blamed for allowing spammers to operate. Hence the swift reaction.

The recollection still gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling after all these years. Not because I didn't like the MP's politics, but because a spammer was neutralized (and, in this case, hopefully learned his lesson).

Spam from LinkedIn is much harder to get rid of. You'd be complaining to an interested party...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon