Reply to post: Cool! But maybe not for the BA break-in?

Twilio: Someone waltzed into our unsecured AWS S3 silo, added dodgy code to our JavaScript SDK for customers

joesomeone Bronze badge
Boffin

Cool! But maybe not for the BA break-in?

Just looked into SRI and that seems like some cool ass stuff. I am a bit concerned that W3 consider SHA384 as the baseline hash... seems like a bit of overkill, especially when considering mobile devices and power consumption. Maybe SHA computing has been optimized in hardware? But then again, scripts don't tend to be that big I guess.

But re-refreshing myself with the BA breakin, their core website was broken into and had their own HTML hacked to pull a script loaded from a non-related domain that kinda looked like it might belong to British Airways...

So, I'm not sure how SRI would have helped here. This wasn't a third-party hosted script that was changed. This was their first-party website hacked to load a third-party script.

The correct solution would have been to (carefully) monitor changes to critical files.. and I'm assuming that their payment pages should have fallen under PCI 11.5(a).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021