Reply to post: nokia 207 3.5G (works with three) no camera, basic phone, also acts as modem

Nokia 5310: Retro feature phone shamelessly panders to nostalgia, but is charming enough to be forgiven

Rob Davis

nokia 207 3.5G (works with three) no camera, basic phone, also acts as modem

If you can find them on ebay, the Nokia 207 phone is worth a look, I got mine for around 15 pounds.

It's 3.5G so will support HSPDA and 3G internet as well as 2/2.5G. Which gives you the option to use three which only supports 3G and up, as well as the others in the big 4, and the MVNOs.

There has been talk in some places in the world dropping 2G to support 3G and up.

It has a built in browser and email client to make use of that 3.5G connectivity. But also, it can be used as a modem, via USB tethering to provide internet to your computer.

That 3/3.5G connectivity also means higher quality mobile to mobile calls.

It has a removable battery, charged by micro USB, lasting around a week on standby. It supports up to 32Gb storage with microsd and can be used as a USB pen drive.

It's based on S40 operating system so I'd assume that it is similar to the 5310 in terms of functionality.

But - no camera. I think this is actually a bonus - it's simpler, and cameras in this sector may not be spectacular, some with fixed focus and limited video. Also, no lens to get scratched. Finally - great for privacy and for taking places where they have an aversion to cameras, security sensitive environments - and - some music concerts.

With all that, I don't understand why Nokia stopped making them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon