Reply to post: Money Talks ...

Seven 'no log' VPN providers accused of leaking – yup, you guessed it – 1.2TB of user logs onto the internet

NotTrustworthy

Money Talks ...

I'm surprised that people actually believe paid-for VPN services don't log anything.

The first rule of business is that you protect your business, and by extension it's revenue stream.

That statement is so true. It's been the one constant that I've found of every business I've worked for during my adult life.

The notion that some subscription VPN business is going to use all its profits (and potentially go into debt) to hire a legal firm and fight off a single legal challenge (read: one VPN subscription) is just not a reality. Every business I've worked for has been more than happy to find the cheapest way to settle a legal problem (in general, not brought by me), if it means they can continue to operate and make money.

If you're paying for a VPN service and the VPN business owner has any business sense, then they'll keep logs, if for no other reason than as an insurance policy to stop some costly legal challenge, or to keep themselves out of jail. I'm convinced that the only reason VPNs don't roll over on their customers more frequently, is because prosecutions are usually underfunded. That can change in a single moment though. As for reputational damage after a sell-out, I doubt they'd ever even acknowledge it was them.

The only truly secure VPN is one you've set up yourself using payment methods and addresses that don't link back to you.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon