Reply to post: Interview questions

You're testing them wrong: Whiteboard coding interviews are 'anti-women psychological stress examinations'

Eclectic Man Silver badge

Interview questions

(1 Facetiously) Obviously the response, after the interviewee has been asked to code a solution on a whiteboard or flip chart, at the end of the interview, when they ask "Do you have any questions", is to say something like:

"Yes. Here's the pen. Please write the code in C++ for determining your position from 12 GPS satellites in Earth orbit on the whiteboard, in the time you allowed me to solve your problem." Then just look at them while they flounder.

(2 Seriously). I once went for an interview for a security consultant position in a large tech consultancy firm in London. There were two interviewers. When one asked a question, the other would always interrupt my answer whenever I got to an 'and', 'or', or merely paused for breath. And I mean EVERY answer. For a whole hour. The only time they did not interrupt me was when I gave my 5 minute 'presentation' on 'Identity' (which was all the vogue at the time, I wonder what the topic is now). I left that interview in a state of shock. After all, I was being interviewed for a job providing Information Security advice, not Donald Trump's press secretary. After a couple of days I seriously considered writing to them saying their interview technique was so rude and aggressive I would not be working for them whatever they offered me. But then I thought, why help the opposition?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon