Reply to post: Re: I don't know what constitutes a lifetime in TomTom's eyes

TomTom bill bomb: Why am I being charged for infotainment? I sold my car last year, rages Reg reader

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: I don't know what constitutes a lifetime in TomTom's eyes

"I had one of their older models, with 1GB of SDram. I got a mail a year ago saying that, because the hardware could not follow (ie not enough storage), they were dropping support and would no longer be updating the maps."

From someone who has used Tomtom satnavs since their inception: that answer is less than truthful. Tomtom just wants you to buy a new device.

Even if you had a model with just 1GB of internal storage without an SD card slot, Tomtom still provides 1GB maps of N/S/W/E Europe, Americas and elsewhere. Obviously US&Mexico in 1GB is not going to be as detailed as the 2GB+ version.

For example, the latest UK&Ireland map with all bells and whistles (IQ routes, house numbers etc) takes about 300MB and works with some very old Navcore versions (Tomtom OS), and even many legacy Tomtoms can have the OS upgraded to a much later version than what Tomtom Home software offered.

The legacy models have been hacked for a decade - finding the maps shouldn't be too hard...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon