Reply to post: Microsoft has been dumping on it's existing developer base

.NET Core: Still a Microsoft platform thing despite more than five years open source

rmullen0

Microsoft has been dumping on it's existing developer base

I can't say I am a fan of David Fowler. I think he has done a horrible job with ASP.NET, starting with ASP.NET MVC. IMHO, Microsoft had it right with Web Forms to begin with. It had the concept of UI controls. MVC ditched that and basically just became a .NET version of Ruby On Rails. It's like they fired the entire team of whoever originally worked on .NET and made it great, and brought in people who wanted to make it like Java, or whatever the trendy language of the moment was. I have always hated MVC and cannot stand modern versions of ASP.NET. Then, Microsoft while somehow managing to bring Windows Forms and WPF forward onto .NET Core, refused to move Web Forms forward leaving existing developers in a lurch. I have a lot of Web Forms application, and I'm not re-writing them all. I'm using Telerik's UI controls which are still by far more robust than the versions for MVC, Blazor etc. They are intranet apps and Web Forms is a highly productive environment for developing the kind of applications that I'm working on. I spent a lot of time converting from Entity Framework to Entity Framework Core. Now, they changed EF Core to use .NET Standard 2.1 which doesn't support .NET Framework. Also, the newest language features are unavailable on .NET Framework. While I'm glad that Microsoft is getting more into open source and opening things up, I think they have done a horrible job with respect to moving things onto .NET Core. I think the decision to not move Web Forms is by people like David Fowler. They think they know everything and have done nothing but make the platform more difficult to work with. Just look at the ridiculous new logging API, and all the other overly complicated over design patterned code they are writing. It's convoluted as hell. Things should be getting easier, but, that's not what's happening. They are shoving new technology down everyone's throats. That would be fine if it was better, but, that isn't necessarily the case. I hope Microsoft considers their long term developers and doesn't throw them under the bus while they chase the younger developers. It appears that they already have. Personally, I think they need a management shake up. Current management are doing a bad job.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon