Reply to post: Tom Tom are a PITA

TomTom bill bomb: Why am I being charged for infotainment? I sold my car last year, rages Reg reader

steamnut

Tom Tom are a PITA

I have had TomTom satnavs since the beginning and my family use a lot of them too. I still have my original TomTom Go although they no will longer update it. Back in the early days you could email them and get answers now you have to go through lots of suggested fixes all designed to stop you actually contacting them at all.

The SatNav in my Lexus is a TomTom and I had a problem with the live traffic subscription. Although the satnav said my subscription was active and I was connecting to their server, if I actually logged-in the live traffic, the service stopped working. I ended up taking image copies of the SD card and proving that it was a problem with the configuration file caused by their server. I even did a hex dump to show the differences. However, Tom Tom insisted that it was a Lexus problem and to contact the dealer. Lexus say that, as it is basically working ok the unit was working and any problems were with either the Tom Tom software or their servers. This ping-pong went on for months until I sussed the flag bit and fixed the problem. In the meantime, Tom Tom sent me lots of offers to upgrade my obsolete units (Go, One, 910 etc) with "lifetime" map updates and free traffic.

My other beef is the map updates are always more expensive for my Lexus than my other Tom Tom units. End of rant....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon