Reply to post: This night be just me but...

Linux kernel coders propose inclusive terminology coding guidelines, note: 'Arguments about why people should not be offended do not scale'

Muhwyndham

This night be just me but...

I find as a Non-Native English speaker (I am from Indonesia, a technically third world country), this movement is at best just covering the wound, or at worst being racist in itself.

Because as I find, most of the Argument about the 'properness' is based on English speaking country's value, and in itself doesn't considering the other side of things, like, every other country's value. You might find "MASTER" and "SLAVE" improper because African slave exist, but then how about BlockList changed to something like.. I don't know, DenyList? Exception? Because for example here in Indonesia, Blocking someone outright is better than... Denying (if we translate it into our local language by dictionary). Our social value see Denying someone, putting someone on Exception is more.. Shameful, rather than knowing for a fact that we're Blocked. You see what I get here?

And not to mention that changing terms after the fact is actually more discouraging for people that doesn't speak English as their native. It is not a problem for me, but I do have some friends that gives up from programming simply because they couldn't understand the nuance in English. It would get worse if what supposedly defualt things just suddenly change for no reason. We as non native couldn't give a thing about properness in English when even speaking (and writing) is already pretty hard.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon