Reply to post: Re: Severely endangering national security

Details of Beijing's new Hong Kong security law signal end to more than two decades of autonomy

LucreLout

Re: Severely endangering national security

They have always been crafters, not thinkers

I'm sorry but I can't accept that as a fair description of Chinese heritage. The Chinese invented everything from fired bricks to gun powder, the magnetised iron compass to bank notes, oil wells to fireworks, steel to tea to toilet paper. That's just the stuff I can see out of my window (the oil well is proxied by the petrol in my car).

Sun Tzu's Art of War is still a standard military text at every officer academy of every major army. Their martial arts are studied the world over. Thinkers scroll from Confucious to Sun Yat-sen. China has always been industrious, civilized, and creative. As a nation it has contributed much of value to the world.

Unfortunately right now its contributing a mistake, from which I hope it will learn. It's not the first nation to make a mistake in 2020 and I doubt it'll be the last. Another poster raised quite an astute point about differing cultural values and got hammered with down votes, but he's not entirely wrong and the differences should be respected.

Offering those that cannot live with these changes alternative residence seems like a peaceful way to depressurize the situation without bloodshed. Britain has given China a way to deescalate the conflict without losing face.

Only America could equal China in an armed conflict, and anyone who has played Fallout has probably had fair indication of what would be left in the event of all out war, only without the vaults, it may be an optimistic view.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon