Reply to post: General concern

I was screwed over by Cisco managers who enforced India's caste hierarchy on me in US HQ, claims engineer

Richocet

General concern

I have a general unease that immigrants bring their culture with them - the bad with the good. This example is the caste system being introduced to the US; The UK has the class system; Past El Reg read articles about Indian visa holders taking up management positions in US technology companies then only hiring their relatives; an example last week of immigrants setting up a massive fraud against the Australian government, and past examples such as the fake Tahitian prince; Chinese business owners in Aus blatantly discriminating against people of African descent and being surprised to learn it's illegal to do that; and suspiciously only accepting cash in their businesses.

I think this is a legitimate concern that a lot of people share about the rate of migration and the criteria applied to the people accepted. How do we have this discussion without it descending into accusations and defensiveness about racism?

At one end of the spectrum you don't want terrorists or mafiosi migrating to your country or receiving working visas - that is asking for trouble, but where is the right place to draw the line?

I'm an immigrant myself and I hope that I bring more to Australia than I take away.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon