Reply to post: Re: What's the real use of a bluetooth API in a browser?

Apple: We're defending your privacy by nixing 16 browser APIs. Rivals: You mean defending your bottom line

ThatOne Silver badge
FAIL

Re: What's the real use of a bluetooth API in a browser?

> So you don't think there are any cross platform web apps that might need Bluetooth access?

I personally think there shouldn't be any web apps that might need Bluetooth access. Much like there shouldn't be any TV shows (for instance) that need Bluetooth. It's pure unadulterated feature creep and just additional, new ways to spy and hack. Why?

Because a browser is a program made to browse HTTP web pages, period. If a distant server needs to talk to other kit around my house, I definitely want that to happen through a dedicated, serious, opt-in and secure program, not something the browser dragged in and which is probably as sloppily coded as most commercial websites.

(BTW, if you want to print some part of a web page, that feature has been implemented in most browsers a long time ago (including in tablets), it does not require some new specific app with Bluetooth access...)

"Web apps" are a solution looking for a problem to solve, and only make any sense in exceedingly rare cases. They are an excellent example of the "we can, ergo we must" mentality my manners forbid me from commenting on.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon