Reply to post: Not UPS but lack of power

Finally, a wafer-thin server... Only a tiny little thin one. Oh all right. Just the one...

Damage
FAIL

Not UPS but lack of power

I was involved in moving a team from one side of site to the other. We had a large (for the time) computing set up (the groups internal router alone was larger than the entire site router). Having put a power requirement in for the server room it was returned with a much lower figure - the bean counters said "you only have a hundred users, you don't need that much" assuming some desktop PCs. A couple of emails later I worked out it was going nowhere so I invited them to visit and they were curious so they happily wandered over. A quick tour of the noisy server room (3 floor to ceiling HVAC units flat out because they had not followed our spec on those either) pointing out a large breaker in the corner and they started to agree that more power was probably required, but not fully agreeing with me until I pointed out the recently added substation outside just to feed the kit in the room. I got the needed power.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon