Reply to post: Re: Cleaning the server room

Finally, a wafer-thin server... Only a tiny little thin one. Oh all right. Just the one...

DS999 Silver badge

Re: Cleaning the server room

I was in a datacenter (in the US) once that had all equipment with UK plugs. I think...or maybe some EU standard but I think they were UK - they referred to them as "UPS plugs". They ordered it that way, and even had UK plugs in the wall in a little test/deployment lab off in the corner. I was told it was because something Really Bad(tm) happened 20+ years earlier that made them build their new datacenter such that the UPS could only use UK plugs to eliminate the ability of people to plug things into it that don't belong. No one there had been around when whatever it was happened so everyone had a different story of what exactly it was. But it left a deep scar on the IT organization I guess.

Apparently it is a problem though because even though they order things with the UK plug, sometimes 'helpful' people or automated systems will see an order going to the US and substitute US plugs. They either return the cord (if detachable) and substitute one of the many they keep locked in a special cabinet for just such an occasion, or make the vendor show up and replace the cord (if not detachable)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon