Reply to post:

Working from home on Virgin Media's broadband? Too bad. Outage hits English capital

Roland6 Silver badge

>Me? I'm about to cancel my ISP, as it's gone down just as I need to do a zoom conference. Phone calls tomorrows I think, or just cancelling and sending a letter to them

Why?

Got a mobile phone with +2GB data then more than enough for a couple of hours of Zoom.

I appreciate that currently things are a little difficult (ie. getting hold of SIMs and gismos is not just a quick trip to the high st.) , but if you are going to be working from home in the future and also have kids having online lessons, I suggest you need to be thinking a lot more seriously about Internet connection backup. A MiFi and a PAYG SIM with a decent ad-hoc data topup might be a good starting point.

Personally, having just had the engineer out to repair a failing FTTC connection, I'm now playing around with a spare Draytek 286xx router with the view to replace my ISP provided router with something that provides automatic load balancing and failover and so rest of family aren't waiting for dad to fix the Internet... Obviously, the current router (like its 3G predecessor) goes on the shelf, just in case its replacement fails...

Yes it costs money, but that is less hassle than having to deal with wife (who can't Zoom/receive email) and teenagers who can't do their schoolwork or chat/game with their friends...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon