Reply to post:

Laws on police facial recognition aren't tough enough, UK data watchdog barrister tells Court of Appeal

Ben Tasker

I don't see where I said it was more accurate than anyone elses, you seem to have inferred that for itself.

What I said was that it's able to cope with facemasks.

In fact, the only time I implied theirs was better than others was when I pointed out that it's quite possible that our lot underpaid and bought an inferior product. That's not nearly the same thing as China being at the height of technology.

> They just have better propaganda promoting its use. It's a bit like the lie detector, which "works" only because the subect being tested believes that it works.

Possibly. Although the number of people being picked up despite wearing masks would tend to disagree with it being purely propanda. Of course, it may be that it wasn't FR which led to those arrests, and it's instead used as cover for an on-the-ground network.

I tend to think the false positive rate *will* increase with mask usage, but probably not so much so it can't be addressed with a bit of extra manpower put into checking the matches

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon